Monday, January 18, 2010

Monday, Monday - Just A Little Rant

Ah, Monday. You know, just a few years ago that word stressed me out...like the stress that made your heart beat faster and your armpits sweat. Gross, right? Yeah, gross. You know why? My J-O-B, that's why.

I used to be an automobile claims adjuster. I was the person you would call at your insurance company if you had an accident. I would get all your information and the other car's (or always fun, multiple cars), take a recorded statement regarding the details, discuss your coverages, set you up with a repair facility, set up a rental car (if you had that coverage) and then discuss the claims process. I wore a headset so I NEVER had good hair and the set would just beep and you would take phone calls all stinkin day. You know what topped the cake? I handled claims for all the the Northeast states, so apart from not being able to understand them, they all came with instant attitudes. Yep, I'm categorizing all of them like that. You know why? Because I can. And they (including the other Northeast insurance companies) categorized people in the Southwest as hicks and behind the times. I was talking to this young claims adjuster who worked for Liberty Mutual up in Mass. He asked what I liked to do for fun and I said "oh just ride my horse to work" and the chump believed me..I finally had to say "no, I was just kidding". Sorry the U.S. doesn't revolve around clam chowder, lobster, hockey and saying "EH!"

Mondays, along with days after holidays, were the worst. Phone calls all day long...arguments with your insured, the other party, tow companies, insurance companies, repair facilities, etc, etc. Kill me. And don't get me started on how many people thought they could drive in blizzards. Good grief, winter was the worst. I can't remember how many times in the beginning that I came home crying. But you know what? After about a year, I grew tougher and eventually it got better. And the job has turned me into the extremely bitter, rude person I am today. LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I loved working from 8 to 4:30, with a 55 minute lunch, weekends off, major holidays off and when Larry started working at this place we had weekends and evenings off together...plus they had 2 amazing gift shops, awesome cafeterias-Chick-Fil-A, Wendy's, Subway, Mi Tierra and most importantly 2 or 3 Starbucks...and we're not just talking about a couple of coffee carafe's brewing Starbucks, I'm talking full on, full menu, "would you like a pastry with that?", "hey I bought 6 Starbucks coffee mugs", Starbucks. I had it once a day, every day...sometimes twice a day. But alas, none compared to the stress.

I'm glad I love my family over great benefits and pay. I'm so glad we're here to be with my family and watch the kids grow and be more a part of their lives. We also can't wait to raise our little family here.

I am so thankful for my job here. My coworkers are a hoot and my boss is amazing! I work 8-5 Monday through Friday. Plus, no headset and no taking 50+ phone calls a day. Of course there's no Starbucks in Duncan but those drinks are like a million calories anyway.

-Tara

1 comment:

  1. Ok...I'm laughing out loud. But don't forget the great DRH DOES have a Starbucks! Not the full line as you're accustomed to, but you can get coffee here!

    Love you so much and am SO glad you are here too!

    --sus

    ReplyDelete